Friday, October 2, 2009

ATTEMPT

I've not been moved lately. Tonight, I was.

I saw Paul Lisicky and Mark Doty at The University of Akron. They gave a craft talk.

It was just what I needed. I will spread some of the brilliant things they said throughout my next few posts.

I need to go to bed soon. Tomorrow I am running a 4 mile race. This will be the longest race I've done. When I come home from the race, I am going to write, for the first time in quite a while.

Paul Lisicky said that when he doesn't write, he's sick. Me, too. Post-MFA has been a constant case of the writing blues sniffles. Paul also said that he allows himself to sit down and attempt to make something rather than actually make something. I like that.

Tomorrow I am going to ATTEMPT to run 4 miles. Tomorrow I am going to ATTEMPT to make something with words.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I hope your attempt is successful, Jen. The world needs more of your beautiful words. Miss you.

Jennifer Sullivan said...

Thank you so much, Sara. Your words have warmed my October though it feels like November day. I miss you too. And, I can't wait to own, read, and treasure your chapbook.