Thursday, November 1, 2007

Lucky Me





Strange to lose someone who has loved you your whole life.



Since I've known how to talk, I've called her Bubba. No one knows exactly why I gave her that name, but I never
called her grandma. She was the first person my mother let hold me.
In moments when she was proud of me (earning blue ribbons in a potato sack race, getting my ears pierced), or in moments I was sad (wrecking my Powder Puff Bigwheel, my first love breaking my teenage heart, my Papa dying), Bubba held me close to her, rubbed my cheek with her hand, whispered in my ear,

"You know, I was the first one to hold you."

Overall, what I feel is lucky.

I think in some ways Bubba will always be holding me.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Jen, I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Bubba was one kick-ass grandma.

I miss you!

marybid said...

I'm so sorry, Jen! You and your family are in my thoughts.

Jennifer Sullivan said...

Thank you, that means so much right now.

mydisguises said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. She seemed like a great lady.

Jennifer Sullivan said...

She was the best!

Amy said...

Jen, those pics are very sweet. Sorry to hear of your loss.

chadmorelock said...

This is very sad Miss. Sullivan. Those are really nice pictures of your grandma. That one at the bottom when you were a litle kid is really sad.