Saturday, January 12, 2008

How it goes in Ireland

I love to take walks. My favorite walk to take is from the village of Doolin to the Cliffs of Moher. I imagine it is about a five mile walk or so, but it takes a few hours.

Many parts of the walk are dangerous, barbed wire and cows on one side of you and a 200-700 foot drop to the Atlantic on the other side of you. There are parts of the journey where you think, "Why am I doing this? I could have just taken the bus to the visitor's center."

But then you get to the highest point. You take a picture like this and you are happy to be alive, happy to be a muddy mess, even happy that the wind has blown your hair into dreadlocks.

You hitchhike back to town because there is no way you can walk back. When you get to town you go to an Internet cafe and email your mother to tell her you were hitchhiking again in Ireland.

She writes you back, tells you to quit hitchhiking and that she loves and misses you. You never want to go home, but you always do.

You return every chance you get.

2 comments:

Karen J. Weyant said...

Nice Post! And as for the title of his specific entry, I think it would also make a good poem title!

Jennifer Sullivan said...

Thanks, Karen. I do like it for a poem title. Great idea.