Monday, June 16, 2008

Five days in...






Well, I have to be honest and say that I was dreading the North. Kelli and I drove from Dublin to Derry on Saturday, mostly on the coastal route (at least from Belfast).

The city of Derry holds the best and worst of things for me. It is swollen with the hangover of civil war as am I.

I think some ghosts can rest now. I walked along the wall, visited the coolest club in the entire world-Sandino's, and talked to locals to catch up on the craic.


I also walked the paths I walked four years ago. I pushed my face against the window of The Gweedore, but I couldn't bring myself to have a pint there. Some things I need to leave snuggled in the past.

We are on the West coast now. Last night we stayed in a B & B right down the street from the grave of Yeats. Tonight we are in Clifden.

And for those of you who are wondering, yes, I miss Telemachus like crazy...but this is my time.


4 comments:

x46and2x said...

Wow, hi there, not sure if you remember me, I was your student at BHS a few years ago. RJ Dunbar..short, blonde, introverted shy type of guy lol. I had just been thinking I never got back into contact with you after HS and then upon searching for you I found this. I'd love to talk to you again, share some writings and some of the music I've written if you get this.

My email is x46and2x@hotmail.com or you can get a hold of me on that hipster site myspace where I put my somewhat considered 'music'.

www.myspace.com/undergroundspaceexploration

Hope I hear back from you.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm so sorry I missed your party! I hope you're having a great time! You've got the proper amount of sass in this picture! Jay.

Marissa said...

It looks so beautiful. Lucky you! :)

Jennifer Sullivan said...

I am lucky and am having the best time.

RJ-I'll email you as soon as I can.

Jay-Have a great time in Prague. There's nothing quite like traveling.

Marissa-Hope your summer is fly!