Sunday, October 19, 2008

Disclaimer


Every chance I get, I go visit my grandparents in Woodsfield, Ohio. Though it is only a two hour drive from Akron, it is like going to a different country. This is not a country I would want to live in necessarily. I enjoy the architecture of the courthouse (pictured above). Other than that, there is not much to see or do. But for writers, that can be a good thing.


I have not visited The Wooden Shoe in quite a few years. Grandpa shouldn't really drink with the medications he's on and he has made me promise not to go into The Wooden Shoe alone.


So I take lots of walks and runs. If I get tired I can take a break and sit on one of the many benches in Woodsfield.

There is something about courthouses, bars, and American flag painted benches that makes me think a lot about America.



And for me, being in a town where most businesses are closed, McDonald's is the center centre, and every third house is for sale...well that makes me think a lot about being a Democrat and how important this election is.


My grandparents are the biggest Republicans I know. Grandpa has plastered his yard and SUV with McCain/Palin paraphernalia. We have agreed to disagree and I know they love me no matter what. But they act as if being a Democrat is a disease. It makes me laugh as their granddaughter, but it sorta scares me as a human being.

I told them that I would like to blog a bit about some of the things they say. And, that I would like to post some pictures that I took. They have agreed to it. I would never ever want to disrespect them in any way. I know they both have a great sense of humor.

So, my next few posts will be about this place I often visit and my grandparents, two people I love despite their political beliefs.

No comments: